Saturday, October 13, 2012

African Firsts


Where has a half term gone? On Friday we finished term for a weeks half term holiday and I still can’t quite believe that I have been here for long enough to be at the end of a half term already.

Here are a few things that I have experienced for the first time since I arrived:

A Tanzanian League Football match.

Yes you have read that correctly I have been to watch a live Tanzanian League Football match. Our local team are the Toto’s and there grounds are a 10 minute walk from our flats and we can hear the celebrations when they score very clearly so we thought we would watch rather than just hear it.
As a group of 10 white people walked into the 30,000 seater stadium I think we had more attention than the actual match as the stadium was very empty (as the team they were playing were apparently rubbish) so all eyes were on us . Luckily the Toto’s  won 2- 1 so there were a lot of happy and loud fans and their attention soon turned to the actual match. It was a great atmosphere and we enjoyed the ‘fast food’ served to us at our seats during the match. We joined the pitch invasion at the end of the match and got to meet some of the Toto players…… we are now true fans!
                                           

The early start of the rainy season.
Unfortunately the rainy season which is suppose to start in November has decided to come early. On Tuesday this week the thunder and lightning started at about 2 o’clock in the morning and the rain was still hammering against my windows when I woke up……. for a few seconds I did think I was waking up in Leeds. I really thought we were going to be totally drenched as we walked to school but luckily it eased at the time we need to walk in. It decided to thunder and rain when the children arrived so I shouted my literacy lesson in the dark as the power also went off. The playground looked like a river but I was doing my break duty in 28 degree heat about half an hour later and all the puddles had dried up. Last night the thunder sounded like someone was drumming on the walls but the fork lightning was pretty amazing as it lit up the lake. You can enjoy the storms when you know that the sun will be coming out very soon!


Biscuits with eating advise.
  As you can imagine they caused some giggles in the shop!

Another extra member of my class.( This is the length of my thumb!)


Only one more sleep until the Serengeti! Will let you know how many lions we had to fight off very soon.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment